Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Garden Slumber


It seems the more I garden down here, the more appreciation I have for those long cold northern winters. In Florida, the nice weather not only appeals to all those retirees, but also to microscopic soil critters that can thrive all year in the never gonna freeze dirt! So, I have to take other measures to cleanse the soil naturally, without chemicals. I solarize, cook the living heck out the ground in the hopes that the microbugs will shrivel up and die under the intense heat being trapped under the clear plastic put on the garden this week. I'll leave you with a picture of the garden, prepped and ready to go for plastic. It will be a 6 to 8 week slumber before a new and exciting tomato season gets underway with my goal of having the Thanksgiving Day tomato this year.

Exciting new heirloom varieties will lead the way, Mariannas Peace, Dagma's Perfection and the fuzzy, yellow garden peach tomato! Seed starting is just a couple weeks away and I can't wait to get started!!

No comments: