Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Airport Stuff

Most of the post I do here are about my fledgling organic garden, but occasionally I'll write something from the airport. My goal since flying on my first airplane ride to Colorado back in the 80's was to pursue an aviation career. I've been lucky enough to "land" my career at one of America's finest airports. It's hard to imagine how apprehensive I was to fly until my big sister in Denver convinced me to come visit. Flying was the only way I was going to get there. I've been hooked on airplanes ever since. Anyways, I currently contribute an article to our department's monthly activity report and I thought it would be nice to share that article with all of you. So here it is........

Emergency Resource Inventory

On Wednesday, January 9th a multiple car and truck crash occurred on Interstate 4 in Polk County creating a mass casualty disaster and putting in place an incident command system. While its unlikely 70 vehicles would ever crash and burn on the runways and taxiways of Tampa International, it is possible to see that magnitude of disaster in the event of an airliner crash. Similarities between both incidents exist. In both incidents a command post is established and multiple hospitals receive victims.

One of the bigger challenges with incidents such as these is debris removal and returning the affected area to normal operations. The airport’s emergency response manual contains not only procedures to be used during specific incidents, but also a section for equipment that can be used for debris removal. Annex D, Resource Inventory for Aircraft Emergencies, list everything from aircraft jacks and tow bars to forklifts and railroad ties. Airlines and private vendors are listed with their available resources.

No comments: