Saturday, November 08, 2008

A Stalk to Behold

Everyone knows by now that I set out this fall to grow a full garden of sweet corn. I had a first planting at the end of summer that was overcome with pests due to my lack of aggressive pest control. A second planting was made at the end of September along with a much improve pest control plan. Along the way we inter planted a couple rows of green beans which have been a huge success. Our dinner table has been blessed with 2 servings so far and more to come.

Back to the corn......the second planting has fared slightly better than the first, however, its not quite what I had hoped for. And then I saw it......one lone corn stalk rising tall and proudly above the rest, a stalk that was thick and hearty, roots sprouting out the bottom, leaves untouched by anything trying to eat it and a tassel firmly intact popping out the top. I'm not sure how this guy did it, not sure what his root system tapped into, but I'm more confident that this garden can support a good crop of corn. With this confidence I will try corn again in the spring before I put in the sweet potatoes for the summer.

No comments: