Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Bulbs, Blooms and Blossoms

Warning: you are about to read a blog post that contains strong spring weather content and is best suited for audiences that are NOT still in the grips of a cold snowy winter. Reading this post may cause depression and a general longing for warmer weather. If, however, you are seeking some happy, cheery images and are hopeful your winter weather will end soon, then by all means read on........

Last winter or spring I remember getting Julie some potted tulips for some special occasion, she loves tulips but they only last for a short time down here. I remember sitting the pot out on the porch after the flowers had died and dried up. I'm not sure when I did it, but I was getting ready to throw the remains of those tulips in the compost when I discovered the bulbs in the bottom of the pot. Without having too high of hopes these bulbs would actually do anything, I put them in a vacant hanging basket just to see what would happen.........to my surprise, this happened......




















Since our weather has warmed up significantly, I have noticed and smelled lots of things starting to bloom. The worlds most sour orange that grows prolifically in our backyard is acting like an orange air freshener these days. One step out of our back door and it hits you right in the sniffer.




















Stroll on over to the main garden and you'll find our blueberry plant beginning to burst with life and berries. A good helping of coffee grounds has really gotten the juices flowing on this plant.

No comments: