Monday, March 31, 2008

The Incidental Tomato

I had no intentions of growing tomatoes this spring. I had planned on being a prudent, smart gardener by giving the soil a break from tomato loving pest. It's always good to rotate your crops, at least that's what I've read.


My compost pile in the middle of the garden, however, had other plans and decided to sprout several tomato plants in and around the pile of grass clippings and kitchen waste. Its amazing to see how many things sprout from a compost heap. All those seeds from the kitchen scraps come to life in a warm decaying pile. One of these years I'll plant nothing at all, simply spread some compost over the garden and just sit back, watch whatever grow.


I've attached a picture of one of the tomato plants that sprouted from deep within the pile. You'll notice the stem curves through the compost bin and under the grass clippings. It's probably on of the most solid and sturdy plants I've ever grown.


So, intended or not, the tomato plant is a keeper and one that I'll consider a bonus for this spring!



No comments: