Saturday, August 26, 2006

Wild Tomatoes

As the end of August rapidly approaches, its time to start getting ready for the fall garden. I'm very anxious to get another round of fall tomatoes this season with 4 seedlings in pots out on the porch. In a few weeks they will be transplanted to larger pots along the fenceline in my new approach to growing tomatoes.

So, this morning, while getting ready to do some heavy duty mowing and trimming, I was taken by surprise to see a tomato plant popping out of the ground next to Olivia's swing set. Looks as if its been growing for a while and right now looks very healthy. I have no idea what kind of tomato it is and how in the world a seed made it to that location and started to grow. Maybe my many trips back and forth to the compost pile had something to do with it. Considering the many times I've mowed and trimmed in that area, I am amazed to see how far its progressed. So, it shall stay there and grow and it will be named "Olivia's Heirloom Tomato", since it is growing under the swingset!


No comments: