

Well, Fall has shown some signs of arriving after a looooooooooooooooooooong hot summer that began last March. October for me feels like the start of a whole new year, more so than the 1st of January anymore. It probably has a lot to do with Julie and I celebrating our birthdays and how our garden comes to life with the first breath of cool air. Just a few nights ago we dipped into the 50's and had the windows open for a bit. We also start a new fiscal year at the airport that brings a 3% cost of living increase to cover our 70% increase in homeowners insurance premium. I used to get excited about hurricanes when I first moved here, but I've somehow lost 70% of that excitement over the last 2 years. And speaking of first moving here, 11 years ago to the day this Friday the 13th my parents and I began the long drive down from Virginia. At 9pm on Friday we'll have moment of silence in observance of the tire blowing out on the Ryder rental truck along a dark I-95 just north of the FL/GA border.
So with Fall coming in, the garden is coming to life. Cucumbers are growing and rows of carrots and lettuce will come sprouting to life in a few days. My tomato grow box experiment is exceeding all expectations so far with the first baby Brandywines on the vine, well ahead of when I expected them. The gold medal tomatoes growing nicely as well! I leave you with a few snapshots from the garden......
No comments:
Post a Comment